Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Running for Two

Running has become quite a different activity for me lately! It's not about pace and distance goals anymore--it's now about getting out there and feeling good and making sure I DON'T push too hard. I hope the Little One appreciates my decrease in intensity!

I've only told family and literally a handful of close friends about the news because we're still so very early in but I am interested in documenting my running experiences throughout pregnancy and I figured now was as good a time as any to start.

Today I went out for a 5K and just took it easy. No heart rate monitor because, with the Holiday and lots of home re-organization, I've somehow lost my Garmin. I've got the monitor, just not the Garmin! I ran a hilly course so I just walked fast up hills and coasted down comfortably. I've been relying on the age old advice--run as hard as you can while being able to hold a conversation.

I've been following that advice for a little over two weeks now and it's amazing how much more PHYSICALLY enjoyable my workouts have been. Yes, I'm still facing many MENTAL hurdles out there. I find myself wanting to scream to other runners and walkers that pass me, "I'm PREGNANT! That's why I have water in 17 degree temps and that's why I'm so sloooooow!" It's hard for me to get used to this whole having-to-stop-and-walk-when-I-get-short-of-breath thing. I'm so accustomed to pushing past the discomfort and making myself better and faster. Hills? No problem. I would race up them as fast as I could so that I would get stronger. Not anymore. Hills? No problem. Walk it, girl!

I'm being very conservative until I see my doctor, which means I've decreased my weekly mileage by about 30% and my pace--I can't even talk about it. It's still hard to believe. My resting heart rate has jumped by about 15 bpm so as you can imagine, it doesn't take as much to get it up there when I'm running. That means I've had to slow way down--by 2-3 minutes per mile. It's unreal!

I'm convinced I'll keep running throughout and part of me even hopes it gets better, easier as time goes on. I'm just happy to have 30 minutes to an hour of no nausea or fatigue! Running is still the only time where I just feel GOOD!

Happy Running!

2 comments:

EricaThomas said...

Congrats and I think it's awesome to be running and to document your experience. I enjoyed reading about your wanting to tell people that "pass you" that you are pregnant. I smiled and can totally see myself wanting to do that too- hopefully someday I'll be as adventurous as you to keep up the running while pregnant!

Modern Marvel said...

Thanks for the comment, Erica! It's hard for a "perfectionist" like me to break away from my training routine and run by feel alone. I've had to be extra conservative and it's a learning experience all on it's own. But I refuse to give up because running is still the one thing I have for myself...and I don't intend to give it up!