Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weekly Update

Great LSD today! Weather was nice--overcast and cool so no sun beaming down making it hotter than it needed to be. Lots of people were out at my spot with dogs, dogs galore. It was actually a little annoying, but I won't get into that. All in all, a successful run. I got about a mile into it and looked over to my right, and saw a beautiful female deer walking around calmly. She looked at me but didn't seem alarmed. We were about 15 feet from each other, which is rare in the city, so it excited me! Then, a young deer, spotted and cute as could be, ran out to her. I couldn't believe it! As if it couldn't get any better, as I was about to pass the clearning where they were, a male deer snuck out of the wooded area, eyeing me and walking toward them. It was such a cool scene! I had chills and a little extra adrenaline for about 10 minutes after that!

I had an awesome day out today, eating lunch on the river with mom and then going to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona! Glad I got my run in early because I had too much bad stuff today, even while TRYING to do well!

Oh as an update, I'm fairly certain I'm not going to compete in the half-marathon in October. I didn't chicken out but I really had to be honest with myself, and I'm just not ready. My goal was to be able to run the whole thing, and I know that with my longest run at 7 miles, there's no way that will occur. So to avoid injury, frustration and SHAME, I am not going to do it. But when that Kentucky Derby Festival approaches, you can DEFINITELY count me in, it's a no brainer. I'll be GOOD and ready by then!

I've done pretty well all week and I'm proud that I've stayed strong. I've started the 100 Pushups in Six Weeks Plan and I can't wait to see how that goes. I'll keep you updated.


Oh, another update--actually two. First, the back pain I was experiencing has gone away as far as I can tell. I was worried about it because I thought it had something to do with my running form, or something physically wrong with me. But when I started dissecting the possible causes, I realized I've been doing a lot of core exercises that included some pretty intense back strengthening exercises and I'm PRETTY sure that the "pain" was actually a soreness from the poor muscles actually getting USED for once! Whew!

Also, I've had to start experimenting during my LSD days to see if there's a way to rid myself of the awful runner's trots. Today, I decided to eat my favorite yogurt, Activia, before my run. I was hoping that by eating, it would help force out a bowel movement before my run AND that the natural bacteria in the yogurt would actually help my belly during the run too. I went 80 minutes without cramping, and I'm so happy about that! I don't know if the cooler weather had anything to do with that outcome but I'll try the yogurt method again next week and let you know! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
I'm on Team Margaritaville Miles (Runners World Forum) and I'm really excited to have a team and some cool people to share with and support. It's great to have accountability, it's actually helping force me out of the door to run!
Happy Running for the week ahead!

No comments: