Saturday, November 8, 2008

Iz Tired! An update...



Poll results: Turns out us runners aren't as nasty as I thought we were! I asked the question "What's the most disgusting thing you've done during a run?" There was a tie (33% each) between "spitting" and "blowing snot." In second place, a tie between "peeing your pants" and "vomiting." Nobody's ever pooped...or are you afraid to admit it? LOL

So, moving on...this week in training didn't go as planned. I had a nice easy 4+ miles on Monday and took Tuesday off since I was feeling under the weather. Wednesday, I didn't feel well (plus had WAY too much candy at work) but decided I had to get out there and fight through it. I had the worst run ever for the first 2.5 miles. My legs were too heavy to lift and I was constantly telling myself "run!" I actually had to remind myself to put one foot in front of the other--normally when I run easy, I'm having to remind myself to SLOW DOWN. SO I knew something wasn't right. But I got through the first part and suddenly, felt GREAT. I decided to up it another 3+ miles...great run all in all and I'm proud I pushed through the "pain." But after the run, I knew it was too much. My legs ached, I was tired and my body just shut down.

This week was a scheduled taper week BUT I didn't really follow through on that during my early week runs--and because of that, I've sat out for the remainder of the week. I have rested well, but it's been difficult mentally because I've WANTED to run. I KNOW it's best that I rest and I KNOW I should have followed my taper week and I will remember this next time.

Just a reminder to all of you out there--it's nothing you don't already know but it's the truth:

1. Take it easy every few weeks or so if you're in the midst of a disciplined training plan. Don't push forever, because if you do, you will be doing more damage than good.

2. Listen to your body. Your body can't communicate to you the way a person can, but it has its own way of expressing itself--fatigue, soreness, aches, pains. Listen to those queues and give your body the nutrition, activity and rest that it needs.

Happy running to all of you! Cooler weather is coming so start preparing yourself for those cold outdoor runs!

No comments: