Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm not a workout DVD type woman...

but...I know a good workout when I see one.



We subscribe to Netflix so we can stream videos instantly via the XBox 360 (or PC, if you wish). It's so convenient! A week or so ago, I decided to see what workout videos might be available for instant queue on Netflix and I watched a couple to see which I'd like to try. I ended up deciding on one--Jillian Michael's Shape Up Front. And you can shoot me, I didn't know who she was. Sorry, I don't watch the Biggest Loser.

Anyway, I've been waiting for the right time to use this video and today was it. Let me just say this--I'm in decent shape. I can run double digit miles, I am not puny, I am no stranger to strength, resistance or any other type of training. But this workout kicked my ass! I actually hated her for a few minutes.

I chose this workout because it looked like the best workout for a runner--out of the instant queue options I had, that is. It works your abs, shoulders, thighs, triceps, hip flexors and chest. Obviously with it covering that many areas, you're not spending a significant amount of time on ONE area. But for a runner like me, it is a good start to help strengthen and build VERY important areas that we need to perform well out on the road or the trail.

The highlight: the fact that I actually finished this video.

The shock: that it's MUCH harder than I expected and I have to go shower now because I got way more sweaty than I do when I run

The lowlight: I could not complete the hip flexor routine. Oh. My. Gosh. I have to work on that.

1 comment:

tjohnson1970 said...

Cool, I hadn't really thought about looking for workout video's on netflix. Now I'll have to.

I hope you never decide you want to kick my butt. LOL