Thursday, August 14, 2008

Waiting for 100 meters.

Frankly, all I've been able to think about for the last few days is the upcoming men's 100m race in Beijing. And I haven't been able to discuss this excitment with anyone because, also frankly, nobody I know understands or cares as much as I do. This sprint has the potential to be one of the most exciting ever. The athleticism, power and strength of Tyson Gay and Usain Bolt, especially, is overwhelming. I do not intend to diminish the skill of the other runners, as they all worked extremely hard to get to this point and all deserve their spot but I believe we'll be watching a duel between Gay and Bolt.

I still find it amusing that Bolt's last name is...well, Bolt. And he's a sprinter. You can't make this stuff up. Just like a dentist named Kathy Crown or an emcee with the name Mike Kabel (yes, he exists.)

I digress. Apparently, Michael Johnson predicts Bolt to pull out the win because of Gay's recent hamstring injury (and his inability to train as consistently and effectively as possible). I don't agree but I'm not sure whether my opposing opinion comes from a place of hope or from something a bit more intellectual.

Again, I don't mean to belittle athletes like Asafa Powell, who is strong in this race to be sure. But I don't believe he is consistent enough to pull this off. My guess is that it will indeed be a duel between Bolt and Gay and I'm pulling for the Lexington, Kentucky born Gay. He's a humble spirit with a lot of power and I'd love to see him win.

No comments: